AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seed salesmen rant
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bakerna4
Posted 4/4/2014 08:31 (#3796181 - in reply to #3795498)
Subject: RE: Seed salesmen rant

Waldron, MI
Another +1 from me. I also sell seed as a side business to farming. I do it because I enjoy it and it helps me make a little extra on the side not because I'm getting rich. My favorite complaint on here is about buying seed from a neighbor so they can bid up there rent the next year. I could not think of a worse business practice when trying to build a dealership. The customers always come first sometimes maybe even at the expense of my own operation. If there is a number a customer wants and I can't get enough for both of us, guess who gets it, the customer every time. I hate having to be pushy. If someone wants to buy from me that's great. I'll do everything I can to provide better service and more support than the local retailer. I always contact my customers about early order and pay discounts because I don't want them to miss out because of me, but if they say wait til after harvest I back off until after harvest. Of course then it's either "I already bought my seed," or "It's too expensive." I'm sorry, I tried to get you the discounts, you didn't want to talk then. I almost won't sell a brand new number until I've had a chance to plant it and see if perform in my own fields. You are absolutely right on the hats and jackets, expensive and the cost comes right out of my pocket, but if someone wants them I'll get them for them. I'm not trying to complain about the farmers. I have some great customers who are friendly and easy to talk to and I have some not so great customers, it's part of the business. I just hope when people come on here and complain about the seed companies and their dealers they take a second and try to see the other side. Especially the dealers side, they have little or no control over what the prices are, what products get cut and sometimes what seed sizes are available. If you don't have a good dealer find a new one, there are lots of guys like me trying our best to help our customers and would appreciate your business.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)