AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Making Potassium more available.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 4/3/2014 18:57 (#3794983 - in reply to #3794770)
Subject: RE: Making Potassium more available.

Little River, TX

My out of the town Guess would be to be 3,000 ppm Ca to 3550 ppm Ca, while Midwest Labs suggest 2880 ppm Ca.

Midwest suggest 215 ppm to 292 ppm K. my guess would be a little over 300 ppm K would be good.

Your pH may be more due to excessive Magnesium than to calcium or maybe to too much sodium.

I really would like to see 17 ppm P. Say 18 lbs Phosphate for 10 ppm increase or 160 lbs P2O5.
When you say a calcareous soil you are saying you have simple calcium carbonate loose in the soil. May be a good idea to boost the Phosphate up to 200 lbs/ to compensate for the phosphate being tied up by the calcium. Maybe and the phosphate or send the phosphate down into the soil behind some chisels.

Willy Albrecht would not be happy with my lack of enthusiasm for the magic Base Saturation Percentages. With a Base saturation of 95% Ca it is difficult to put enough K & Mg into the soil to drop the Calcium back to the 75% range.

Being where you are I probably would pay more attention to the Midwest Lab's suggested levels for K, Mg, & Ca.
With as much Magnesium you have I would not want to use much dolomite lime.
As much as I bad mouth Gypsum, it might be a good option for you.    Bet Ed Winkle just swallowed his chew on that one.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)