AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When did all the landlord start expecting rent up front.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 4/3/2014 10:45 (#3794176 - in reply to #3793974)
Subject: RE: When did all the landlord start expecting rent up front.

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
What does greed have to do with it? Walmart doesn't let you pay for groceries after you take them home and eat them. Some of you sound like a bunch of little spoiled kids. I would imagine that in 10, 20 years down the road and you are all retired and cash leasing everything out, then cash rent won't sound like such a bad idea.

I've leased ground, always paid the rent up front, and leased ground out. Always with the rent paid up front. I leased ground out because I need a rotation yet want no part of the risk of growing row crops. If I wanted the risk I'd sharecrop or grow them myself.

We sharecrop a lot of alfalfa ground. It works better for everyone, and installments are paid as we receive deposits. However, the rent ends up considerably higher than cash rent, yet there is little risk in alfalfa compared to potatoes/grain rotations that cash rent. So it is well worth it for landowners to do so if they wish. A large majority of the land here is cash rented out on an auction basis every year though, so maybe we are just used to it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)