AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Vertical Till depth
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

RedRiverLouisiana
Posted 4/1/2014 08:50 (#3789927 - in reply to #3788324)
Subject: RE: Vertical Till depth

NW Louisiana
We usually just run ours in the fall to process stalks. It is weak when it comes to killing vegetation, but we were looking for something to fill in ruts with minimal disturbance to the soil. I have to get on my soapbox here. Yes, it's not the same as no-till and it may not be true vertical tillage, but it does serve a great purpose to a lot of growers. There are lots of guys who hate on these tools, but it is heads and shoulders better than the double discing we use to do. We wanted to leave as much cover as possible and the picture below from yesterday will verify that. We haven't tried strip till yet, but that might be a better alternative. That said, it's not the perfect seedbed, but with a correctly set planter and gets the job done.

To answer your first question, I did run it over a few acres this spring in a mud hole that some kids ran their trucks thru this winter. It was set at 2in and that hole dried faster than the rest of the farm. No clods and a smooth seedbed. I've found to run it shallow as you can as long as it's performing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)