AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Veal, Tri-Tip
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Chimel
Posted 3/26/2014 19:24 (#3778251 - in reply to #3777214)
Subject: RE: Veal, Tri-Tip

I don't have to worry about it, there's almost no veal in the regular stores around here, you need to go to upscale butchers such as Whole Foods if you want veal.
My regular store sometimes stock shank for ossobuco, more rarely and very irregularly chops or ground veal, so you can't really rely on them if you want to cook veal. The butcher aisle at a regular French store like Carrefour has about 20 different veal cuts, whole roasts, veal for stew, etc. Usually even headcheese or fresh veal liver, which is very tender and is one of the first red meats very young kids eat, and sometimes you can find a whole quarter veal already precut and packaged in a refrigerated box that you can freeze whole without even taking the meat out.

This online French butcher offers 14 different cuts of veal.

I find American veal quite bland too. French veal seems much more controlled (food, age, regional origin and other "red" labels, etc.). Between availability, price ($9/lb for shank!), taste and cultural habits, these are several reasons why most people prefer or stick to beef, or pork when they really want white meat. Very hard to try veal by yourself if you were not introduced to it in your childhood. Many veal recipes in France or Italy, Austria has the awesome Wiener Schnitzel, the U.S. market does not have a market for veal, a set of specifications for raising them, or a regional veal cut or recipe specialty.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)