AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tiger meat? Do you eat it? raw milk from below
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ernie
Posted 3/26/2014 12:10 (#3777523 - in reply to #3776957)
Subject: RE: Tiger meat? Do you eat it? raw milk from below

North End I-15
When we lived on the farm in the 40's all our milk was raw . We did separate it . Mother would make fresh butter to exchange for groceries in town .(salt ,spices things of that nature ) She also exchanged farm fresh eggs with the store.
The store had customers who only wanted Mothers Butter .It was lightly salted and "sweet ".
When the milk cow went dry we had neighbors who would supply us with milk , just as we supplied them with milk when their cow went dry . Were 3 farm families that traded milk between each other . Most only had one milk cow . This was not dairy country .
When we moved to town the local dairy sold raw milk to the town folks . You owned a couple gallon cans that you rotated with the dairy . He sold raw milk but you had to furnish container . He did that up in to the early -mid 50's .

When we moved back to the farm in 54 the milk cow was gone and pasture was rented to horse people .

The local butcher from grocery store had a "locker plant " He would come to the farm butcher for a share of the beef . The cut and wrapped portion of yours was kept in his locker plant in individual paddle locked freezer compartments .
There was no commercial electricity on the farm till 1948. Most farmers had a 32 wind charger and a battery system . Dad sold his to a Canadian when we moved to town in the fall of 47.

We ate a lot of fresh chicken , canned beef , cured ham . Dad made mother a dehydrator for the garden produce that was not canned or stored in the root cellar . Dehydrated cabbage , peas , carrots ,beans were used in the stews . My wife did the same in later years with her garden produce. Made for great stews . Where mothers was solar powered , wife's used a 100 watt light bulb .
i digress
The local butcher/grocery store owner would (when making hamburger ) eat it raw , fresh from the grinder . He lived to be 97 years of age .

I don't think in this day and age , fresh is fresh as in the old days . :>)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)