AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hi-dump wagons and flail choppers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Dpeterson
Posted 3/18/2014 07:50 (#3760593 - in reply to #3759617)
Subject: RE: hi-dump wagons and flail choppers

Henderson, Michigan
We ran a hi dump for a long time and still do when the going gets sloppy or when opening fields. We ran it behind an sp Deere chopper and my dad ran it behind a 3 row gehl pull behind. We have run the 2 wheel and 4 wheel version. Personally I liked the high 2 wheel version as it floated better on our wet sand in the fall and untiled ground.

You have to watch where you unload...make sure you arent on a slope either toward the truck or away from the truck...if toward the truck the frame of the lift box at least on ours would rock up against the truck and rub the truck box. If sloped away from the truck...not all the silage would make it into the truck.

We had drivers that simply couldn't back the truck alongside the hi dump...couldn't figure out how to get close enough without hitting it. That was always a problem. Ours worked best with single axle dumps as it made a full load on the single axle trucks. On the tandems two loads wouldnt quite fit so it was a small load kind of day. I have seen the neighbor using his semi and longer trailer and they can get two dumps on it.

I will say this...pulling it either alongside the chopper or behind it saves the wear and tear on the trucks. We have pushed mud with the front bumper of the truck in some fields where the hi dump walked along behind the chopper with ease. The only downside I have found is unsticking it when it does go down. Takes a brute of a tractor to get it out and much time is wasted. But would rather stick the dump than the truck.

One thing I would not ever do again is use it to harvest grain corn with. Almost turned over the truck dumping the grain into the truck. Was not a good day.

Doug
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)