AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

update on 2010 5.3L low oil pressure (& questions)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

17821x
Posted 3/10/2014 18:07 (#3745754 - in reply to #3745637)
Subject: RE: update on 2010 5.3L low oil pressure (& questions)

NE Iowa
I have an '09 with the 5.3L engine. At 10,000 miles the oil pan gasket was leaking oil. When they replaced the gasket they add the baffle to the oil pan that was supposed to prevent oil consumption at higher mileage. Fall of '12 (32,000 miles)noticed some smoke for a few seconds at start-up and a couple weeks later low oil pressure light come on. Took it to dealer. 3.5 qts low on oil. They change oil and need to document oil consumption so bring back in 1000 miles. Back to dealer at 1000 miles and 2000 miles but very little oil consumption. So take it to normal oil change interval and have the oil changed somewhere else. Fall of '13 have about 5000 miles and approaching next oil change and oil low light comes on again. Burned 3.5 quarts again. Back to dealer. Won't do anything because they didn't change the oil the last time. So they change it again and mark the oil plug so no one tampers with it. Chevy cosiders "normal" oil consumption to be 1 quart in 2000 miles. I take it back to dealer at 1100 miles and it burned 0.5 quarts. Just short of the amount needed for them to do anything. I then went off on the service manager. I'm usually pretty calm but I was tired of Chevy's games and let them have it. They called Chevy and they agreed to fix it. It was stuck rings and they replaced rings and pistons. Only have about 3500 miles on it since it was fixed but so far so good. You should just be thankful they replaced it without giving you the run around like I had. My truck still only hase 44,000 miles on it but now has new rings and pistons. Chevy has had to do a ton of these and that is why they fight it so bad.

Edited by 17821x 3/10/2014 18:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)