AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

update on 2010 5.3L low oil pressure (& questions)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

sand85
Posted 3/10/2014 16:45 (#3745637)
Subject: update on 2010 5.3L low oil pressure (& questions)

C IL

Original thread here: http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=458779&posts=10#M3729474

Zero oil pressure warning went off at 90k miles when I braked at stop sign, but had oil splashed all over dipstick when immediately checked (in my good clothes in the frozen darkness, of course).  Pressure comes back up when truck is restarted at about 15-18 psi.  Limped it down around corner into garage ending around 12psi.  Didn't smell great.  Next morning, added 2 qts oil, but it still didn't come up on dipstick.  Copious white smoke.  Probably a ring.

Trailer it to dealer, who says probable ring problem, will replace rings and pistons under 100k warranty.  By the time my mechanically-savvy brother got there on the day they were to take engine apart, they had the engine buttoned back up with new rings and pistons.  Mechanic acts a little funny around him, but keeps lips zipped.  Service manager refuses to tell him what the problem is.  Seems weird.

I call service manager, who announces they replaced rings and pistons but doesn't seem willing to admit much knowledge of anything else.  He does announce it was a bit over a quart shy on oil when they got it (since I had added 2 qts, it had burned 3+ qts oil).  Service manager admits there was a stuck ring, but only when pressed. 

Definitely getting a heebie-jeebie feeling here.  I feel like they rushed to get the engine closed up without an outside inspection, and that the service manager is deliberately withholding information.  Definitely feel like the guy just wants to get it out of his shop.  Surprised to feel this way - I'm usually pretty trusting.

So ... questions:

Can you have a stuck ring without damaging the sleeve? 

Can you have a low oil pressure warning and still have 2.5-3 quarts of oil left out of the 6-qt capacity? 

When I backed into garage, the pressure temporarily bottomed out to zero when I braked - seems like the oil pan must have been about out of oil?  How much oil is splashing around the engine when it is running? 

Assuming there was 3 quarts of oil toward the end and low pressure, was the head getting oil if it ran for several minutes at 10-15 psi?  Would the crank bearings and seals be getting lubricated?

In the absence of other information, I guess I will buy the story about only being a quart low on oil.  He did not know I added 2 quarts of oil.  I am concerned that it may have needed a sleeve.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)