AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What would a fair rate be for pushing/packing silage for a 425hp 4wd tractor?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

durallymax
Posted 3/5/2014 23:51 (#3736258 - in reply to #3735631)
Subject: RE: What would a fair rate be for pushing/packing silage for a 425hp 4wd tractor?

Wi

reddog - 3/5/2014 20:01 Have a neighbor that has asked me if I would be interested in pushing/packing silage for the fall cutting. I would supply tractor and man and he said he would put in fuel. He mentioned about 100/hr is what he thought. I am most likely not interested unless there is some decent money in it for me. This would be for about 3 weeks of each fall and would be very very long days and into the night running. My tractor is a 6 yr old 4wd. I would have to purchase the blade and I think they cost around 35k. It sounds like decent money but after figuring depreciation and that I would have to buy a blade I am thinking its not nearly enough. Am I greedy or just trying to talk myself out of it? Thanks

I'd look for a used blade if possible to save some money.

Most chopping crews don't run short days but ones who cover a lot of acres do tend to stick to a slightly shorter schedule than those who have less to do. Long days will burn your guys out too fast.

Packing is monotonous to many people, there is an art to building the proper pile also. Some people cannot do the constant back and forth, others can't figure out how to make a nice smooth even pile with good even density. The last thing you want is a tired operator whos bored with his job high in the air on a silage pile.

With some operators tire wear can be high but otherwise its not too hard on the tractors. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)