AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

They are charging too much for auto steer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

AFS kyle
Posted 2/23/2014 10:33 (#3710663 - in reply to #3710462)
Subject: RE: They are charging too much for auto steer

East Central Illinois / West Central Indiana
I am not selling a $75 computer board which the end user then has to install and write code for ... I am selling a finished product. It was designed by Trimble, code written by Trimble, field tested by Trimble, manufactured by Trimble, marketed by Trimble, distributed by Trimble, product warranty and repair handled by Trimble, legal liability handled by Trimble, and sold, installed, and serviced by me. There is much much much more to these products than just $75 in parts and you cannot ignore the people who did all of the work getting the product to market and installed on the farm.

I am very pro capitalism and believe that the market sets the price of goods and services. If someone could engineer, build, market, and sell a reliable $75 nav controller for ag use all while making a profit after paying employees and taxes then we would have such a product readily available for sale .. and yet we don't.

The Nav II controller has been around for a while and I'm sure many or all of the initial development costs have been recovered ... but what about the costs of engineering and developing the next generation product?

A XCN 2050 display costs $6595 but in many ways my $250 ASUS tablet can do more than it can ... but would I trust it to autosteer a $250,000 Magnum 340 like I am currently doing with the XCN 2050? Who do I call when the ASUS tablet freezes up? Will ASUS stand behind the software I wrote to steer the tractor? Are there people out there in the world who can make their own hardware components and write their own code? Sure there are, but is that something the everyday end user can do ... hardly. If you are one of the people who has the capability, intelligence, and motivation to build their own system then I applaud you and I welcome you to make your own display and steering system. I choose to spend my time and effort providing turn key products and services to customers to help them improve their operation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)