AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Combine static discharge . . .
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Posted 8/19/2006 03:15 (#37099 - in reply to #36887)
Subject: RE: So are plastic panels a fire hazard on new combines?

Jon, I get zapped reaching out and touching the handrail from the combine seat. I had never thought about static electricity fires before until it was brought up by our situation. I have about 2 miles of fence to replace from the fire so it will stay on my mind during the fencework.

As far as mildew on the peas it is amazing how it just combusts. On our R 72 when mildew is bad it combusts on top of the chaff deflector above the shoe probably stirred by all the wind blowing out of the combine and totally away from the exhaust. When the ladder is closed the dust will build up on the steps inside the engine compartment. It will combust on the right side under the radiator screen completely upwind from anything. It will combust in accumulations clear up on top of the hood.

As you say the only solution is to keep it removed. We have a diesel powered air compressor to keep things cleaned off to keep the potential fire fuel off. It is wierd to watch it continue to burn on the ground. Turn it with a shovel and you will see four or five new spots begin to smolder and turn black. Stirring up the ground more with a cultivator seems to be the best way to stop those. Nothing like cutting across a field and turn and find a quarter mile of little fires smoldering across the field.

Thanks for sharing about your sunflower experiences and we haven't had a pull machine around here for 30 years to know anything about them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)