AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

They are charging too much for auto steer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

MCatSHF
Posted 2/22/2014 13:35 (#3709044 - in reply to #3708948)
Subject: RE: They are charging too much for auto steer

Sandy Hook, MB

Canucker - 2/22/2014 12:20 There are much cheaper alternatives to guidance and steering than anything you can get from Outback, Trimble, JD, Autofarm, etc. etc. If you're really wanting to tackle a project, you could make something based on Adreno boards I'm sure, but if you're not that ambitious there's smaller scale operations like farmergps. Options are there if you want to tackle these projects on your own, but if you want the backing of your local reseller, a large multi-national company, support, service, inventory, etc etc, all of that comes at a cost. I like to think of it like trucks. I could strap four wheels, a motor, and some sort of transmission to a frame with a box and have a truck. Or I could go out and buy a used Chevy S10 for $6500. But neither of those are much use if I want to haul a couple tons of grain. I need an appropriate machine for the task at hand. Do you want to save yourself a couple thousand on GPS and steering systems and potentially risk having your entire farming operation grind to a halt for 2 days in the spring because something wasn't build to the necessary quality needed to survive in an ag environment? Yes, technology costs. But given it's probably one of the fastest return on investments on the whole farm and many customers refuse to operate without it these days, I'm routinely amazed how undervalued it is.

Hello Canucker

So if you buy from Outback, Trimble, JD, Autofarm, etc. this doesn't happen? I'm just getting into this racket, but neighbours here have advised me not to get rid of the "markers". Been told that there's nothing more frustrating than spending $10,000 for auto steer & it quits working because it lost the signal. Did their whole farm come grinding to a halt for 2 days? No. They steered with their hands & used their markers for guidance, all the while $10,000 lighter in their wallet.

If I could I would, but my mind understands mechanics, like engines, transmissions, sprockets & chains, .... not chips, semi conductors &  Adreno boards controlling stepper motors.

Reason for edit: Typo.      

Edited by MCatSHF 2/22/2014 13:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)