AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

farmall 1206
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 2/22/2014 08:27 (#3708503 - in reply to #3708350)
Subject: RE: farmall 1206

Chebanse, IL.....

We bought one new in 1965. That was the first of them, had the paper "1206" decal vs the later stamped gold plate. The early ones were called the "white" 1206s. Ours came w/the factory IH cab w/ no heat, no air. We bolted a radio first in front of the steering wheel, but you couldn't hear it there @ full volume. So, we bolted it up in the upper RH rear corner of the cab. Then you could hear it sometimes w/full volume. Actually, it was quieter with the windows/door open vs closed. Unbelievable amount of transmission/diff whine. We had no pto in ours, but it was stock & I'm absolutely sure it didn't have too much hp. We pulled 6-16s (IH 560 plow) usually in H-1, low ta. Normally it wouldn't swing it in L-4 hi TA unless it was exceptionally fit conditions. I think the tractor, front weights (no duals) & plow was just under $10,000. The tractor had it's share of TA & rear end problems. It did stay in the neighborhood after we traded it on a JD 4620. But then, it caught fire going down a road when owned by another neighbor. I think it was sold for scrap....sadly.

1st photo below is myself & my brother & our 1206...then (1965). Note the plastic cover can still be seen on the backrest. I don't know why we didn't take that off right away, it just felt neat to have plastic on a  new seat.

2nd photo is my brother having taken over the driving of the 1206 while I was in the Army. That was our 1st ever mounted field cult (Glencoe). The wings had cable winches in the photo, however when we first bought it, it came with NO winches. It was just a "Jack-Armstrong" lift mechanism. Same way with transporting our rotary hoe sections on a hay rack down the road.

3rd photo is a "2nd childhood" photo showing our newest 1206 driven by my son Kurt. This also happens to be a '65 model & is about ready to roll out of our restore shop. Kurt looked for a '65 for a long time & finally found this one. The tractor is an early '65 by s.n. It has the wrong plaque on the hood & wrong font for TURBO sticker, but that has since been remedied, along with quite a few other things. Kurt & Billy have spent much of the winter re-fabbing the 1206. It'll be going on the dyno the next time the weather allows, which might be a while.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)