AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What Functions whould you like to see in APEX?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Farmin Skywagon
Posted 2/19/2014 09:36 (#3701211 - in reply to #3697222)
Subject: Re: What Functions whould you like to see in APEX?

Pine Village, IN

4wdaaron - 2/17/2014 18:34

True multiclient--- Not sure I understand how you want to set up differently, can you explain?
More advanced Rx and analysis--- Agreed I think most of us want better functions available. 
Work with other brand cards for yield maps--- This is my main topic improvement with Apex, in my situation I want to export yield maps from Case AFS and Import into Apex. 

Marktractor - 2/17/2014 19:16

Being able to sort reports by Crop type like Corn, beans, wheat. You can only sort by date now. Being able to harvest more than one crop per field in one year. Like wheat and double crop beans. The way it is now when I run my harvest report on combining double crop beans it will show you the harvest date of when you harvested the wheat and not the double crop beans.

I think I understand what you are asking for. Like you when I run a double crop year harvest report it does show my independent data but not the dates. It would be nice to choose which harvest instance you want to run a report for, thus allowing you separate reports on the same field.

badger@uw - 2/17/2014 19:43

Boy, I could spend hours on this one. I think you clued into my earlier posts about equation based Rx ( and easy ability to tweak these relationships graphically). SMS Advanced has a basic equation builder (the sole reason I changed this year) - Apex must have this in the future (or their cloud partners must have this ability)

Equation based tools would be great. Along with overlay tools to interpret the data. Of course that leads us away from simple data management, what I think Apex wants to be, but not what I want.

sserven - 2/18/2014 08:46

Customizable map printing like in sms. I've never liked their options for maps. The maps are too small and too much space is wasted on the printout.

I'd love to have the ability to increase printed map sizes or even just print a map. I was never a fan of the standard layouts. AFS/SMS are much better IMHO.

gwagner - 2/18/2014 09:02

For example, a needed feature in Apex is the ability to export out yield data to “Yield Editor” http://www.ars.usda.gov/services/software/download.htm?softwareid=2... (or build into Apex a feature similar to this) for yield map data cleaning.

I haven't used this, does it only work when you take the harvest data directly from the data card/monitor and import it. I'm assuming once again Apex won't export it correctly?

rangaf - 2/18/2014 17:02

2) Today I have no ability to analyze my harvest data. My apex data is simply a map storage facility. What I want to do is analyze if our different management practices are beneficial or not. For example, I'd like to overlay a prescription planting map on top of my harvest map and determine if the changed populations are beneficial (compare to previous years' info that did not have variable rate planting. Another example is analyzing my variable rate fertilizing to harvested maps. Another example is looking at zones within our soybean harvest maps that had Ferrilene/Soygreen applied and see if they are beneficial versus myself drawing polygons and looking at yields this year versus previous years that didn't have the chemical applied. As I understand it, what I'm looking for is what SMS calls querying through layers. Today my fertilizer company will help answer these questions using their SST or SMS software, but that's a PITA (ever tried exporting harvest info from Apex? Ugh...)

I agree and I think most every progressive user also agrees with you. Apex allows you to export data as a .shp file. I thought most programs recognized this format and data strings? Am I wrong?

3) Cloud-based solution. Let Deere maintain the software on their servers and I can query/upload/run reports/create prescriptions, etc using a browser-based portal. Having one or two installs of the software on the farm is how software worked 20 years ago. Let me access my data anywhere and anytime.

Apex has greatly improved over the years. I also haven't had near as many crashes/update bugs recently. I can only imagine we'll have to endure the same growing pains on a cloud system/myjohndeere.com as we did with Apex. I'm also not a big fan of the cloud system, for any of my data. Maybe I'll change my opinion someday.

Edited by Farmin Skywagon 2/19/2014 10:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)