AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

advise on growing orange tree indoors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jbatmick
Posted 2/5/2014 14:51 (#3665032 - in reply to #3664849)
Subject: Re: advise on growing orange tree indoors

Hastings, Florida
<p>Agree with above, but a few thoughts from a citrus nursery friend I asked about your problem. There is a chance your tree will never produce, depending on what type of fruit the seed came from. However, as he said, what the heck. Try it a few more years, good learning experience for daughter. Many trees do not produce fruit for the first few years. The ones in my yard are 6 years old, and this was my first good year.They are maybe 6 feet tall, 7 feet across, with a 4 inch trunk. He believes possibly your tree needs more sunlight. Give it all the sun you can .Growing taller seeking more sun ? Oranges also do not like wet feet. Try to water only as needed, letting the soil dry between waterings. Change your fertilizer applications. Use a commercial fertilizer 3 times a year, early spring, early summer, mid fall. Try a 6-6-6, or 6-8-8, maybe a pound per inch of trunk diameter.Look at Wal Mart for a citrus mixture fertilizer, that would be better. As tree gets larger, go to 1 & 1/2 pounds per inch. Apply a strong dose of Miracle Grow twice a year. Once when you first see a bloom, and then when the fruit starts to get yellow. The tree will pollinate with itself, if bees are present. If not , gently wipe each blossom with a kleenex, transferring the pollen. A lot depends on what type orange the seed came from. The idea is to make the tree think it has 4 seasons, instead of a constant temperature and sunlight.That will trigger the response to set fruit. These are just my thoughts, taken from a citrus grower. Good luck.</p>

Edited by Jbatmick 2/5/2014 14:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)