AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

To reprimand or terminate employee from below?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 2/5/2014 10:35 (#3664460 - in reply to #3663658)
Subject: RE: To reprimand or terminate employee from below?

West Union, Illinois

I've read all the responses to both threads. Some of the unanswered things are the size and type of your operation, location, etc.

You said he had 40 years experience.  So he is 55-60 years old.  I don't know how old you are.  I can tell you from personal experience that about that age most guys start to find they can't necessarily do what they used to do ... and sometimes forget that fact.   Also he is quite likely what we'll call old school.  It's always been done that way and gotten by with it.

When I started in the propane business there was an old guy working part time.  He had years of experience and was semi-retired. His wife had her own business which he worked in 2-3 days a week and he worked with us the other 2-3.  He didn't necessarily do things the way we youngsters were taught.  I was thinking about this the other day and realized I am the age he was when I started. And probably about the age this guy is.

We old guys don't retrain very well.

Do you have other employees or is it just you and him?   The idea someone had about making him safety guy and having to do training of others is a GREAT idea if you have other employees.  I have always learned more as an instructor than as a student.

As an employer you need to document.  Let me repeat that word, DOCUMENT. In his employee file (No employee file?  START ONE) document he was warned about this.  Get some training material and have him sign a form saying he has read it.

gotta run

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)