AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

To reprimand or terminate employee from below?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

1156versatile
Posted 2/5/2014 10:17 (#3664398 - in reply to #3663658)
Subject: Re: To reprimand or terminate employee from below?

Strathcona, mn
I appreciate everyone's comments. As an owner I take full responsibility for all actions taken in my farm. At most times if the year it is only one other person and myself on staff. We talk about safety issues in the farm throughout our duties. I make it a point to point out unsafe practices and situations. I DO NOT direct anyone who helps me to do things I think are unsafe or things that may make a situation unsafe. I will be implementing procedures to try to stop any further incidents regarding the grain side of my operation. I am still concerned about this employee regarding his knowledge and experience with safely moving grain. We have talked about various ways to unload bins on our farm as all of our storage is not consistent with unload augers. He stated that he was aware he was putting himself in harms way and went right past the warning stickers on the door. This time he wasn't as lucky as he apparently had been in past experiences. I am a firm believer in safety and safety training. Unfortunately we can not train for every encounter in agriculture.... Instead we rely on years of experience and training.

After doing some research on a sleepless night I learned some things I think others should be aware of. First, the minute you add any drying apparatus to you farm OSHA has determined that you fall under a commercial grain handling facility and fall under OSHA ruling. There is pending legislation to shore up loop holes that allow OSHA to effect family farmers.... In other words you are not immune to OSHA. Next if you think you are insured enough for a death of a worker. You are wrong! I have a very comprehensive insurance plan but chances are it wouldn't be enough. I consider myself to operate as safely as I can manage my operation, I hope we all do. I do not and will not ever put an employee into a situation were they endanger themselves or others. I take responsibility for all actions but like most others I can not be in direct supervision with all activities on the farm so I just rely on employees to do there job SAFELY and to the best of their abilities. I have set up a meeting with my employee to go over yesterday's experience to address the situation and future solutions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)