AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

To reprimand or terminate employee from below?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

bisonfan
Posted 2/5/2014 09:24 (#3664266 - in reply to #3663658)
Subject: Re: To reprimand or terminate employee from below?

Moorhead, MN
You need to have a long discussion with this fellow. And some big time changes in how you do things. Crap happens - farming is a risky business. The painful truth is you failed your employee and got lucky. Any bin that needs to be entered while unloading is a sign of poor management. Was the grain bridging up? Was there ice or snow in there? It's happened to most of us, but ultimately the buck stops with me - the owner. I could write a book on my management mistakes, but the bottom line is I take responsibility. There are so many risky things we all do on the farm, but not entering a grain bin is one of the first things I tell any of my employees. (I've even had one remind me one time). One of the hats we get to wear on the farm is problem solver. If that bin needs to be empty - what can I do to safely empty it? Unloading systems have been a great addition to the farm - but we need to change our way of thinking when a 2' chunk of anything threatens someone's life. Maybe a vacuum port, maybe a horizontal agitator rod, maybe better management before it happens, maybe just patience. Ice melts. Hopefully he learned something. I'm sure you did. And I know I did. We are grilling burgers at noon and having a safety meeting in my shop.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)