AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Combine static discharge . . .
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ausharvester
Posted 8/17/2006 03:15 (#36470 - in reply to #36295)
Subject: Re: Combine static discharge . . .

I have been reading this with great interest as we have a lot of problems in Chick Peas in our climate with fires breaking out on combines in hot and low humidity conditions.Water tankers are parked in the paddocks in a lot of our harvesting jobs for Chick Peas. I was not a beliver in dragging chains at first but after years of experience different combines with and without dragging chains the chains are put on for Chick Peas. with your test Ed , was the machine running? as I think that might make a difference after a short while especialy with the electric clutches nowdays. I remember one day when I started harvest and within an hour the TR99 was dropping spot fires behind it (combines are blown down twice daily),I pulled up, and let the chain drag and no more spot fires. There were 2 2388s in the same paddock having the same problems catching on fire daily and they too were cleaned down properly and washed daily yet after chains were fitted they had a lot less problems still the odd spot fire but no where the earlier fire problems. There were over 5000 acres of Ckick Peas on this property and by the second day all the combines were dragging chains. Why does it seem to work I don't know and it only seems to be a problem in certain weather conditions ( I have had an R72 catch alight in Chick Pea dust on sheet metal after a couple of hours operation) and other times it is never a problem. I would like to see more testing but at this time I figure how much can it hurt to drag a chain around the towbar of a combine. John
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)