AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Combine static discharge . . .
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 8/16/2006 21:55 (#36392 - in reply to #36374)
Subject: RE: Combine static discharge . . .

If you want real grounding, the shovel ought to be down to the water table... Not terribly practical. If you can get to the water table that ground resistance ought to be under 50 ohms, maybe 10 ohms.

Probably a lot of the dust static on the glass comes from scrubbing the glass clean. That used to happen when over zealous cleaners got to panel meters. The static from cleaning would move the meter pointer off zero, sometimes beyond half scale. The cure was to lay on a dishwashing detergent film and let it dry, not to polish it off. That could well apply to cab windows. I'd think something like the antistatic sprays for carpets and fabrics from Scotch would be effective too, so long as it didn't leave a tacky film to gather dust on its own. A more permanent alternative would be to apply a thin but transparent coating of tin oxide which is often used on the glass for an LCD to make it conductive but transparent. That takes a big vacuum chamber to do it to a combine windshield, so the organic solution with the detergent or anti static spray film may have to do.

My farm equipment doesn't have any glass so I can't try these. The back window of my VW Golf sure gathers dirt, maybe its a static problem, but more likely just the dry dusty roads (even after three inches off rain last week).

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)