AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is the best RTK autosteer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

jstroh
Posted 4/20/2008 21:39 (#362278)
Subject: What is the best RTK autosteer?

SCNE
I have been doing some shopping and am trying to decide between the many brands of RTK autosteer that are offered. I currently have an JD 8200 tractor and would like to use it for strip till fertilizer placement and then planting on the strips. I understand that my 8200 has no harnesses or necessary equipment for autosteer so I am starting from scratch. I do have a basic John Deere GPS receiver that I use for yield mapping in the combine (JD 9660 STS), but was informed that with the John Deere system I might as well buy a new receiver that is equipped for RTK. Should I stick with the John Deere system since I am familiar with it and already have the Apex software for yield mapping? Or are there other brands of autosteer to consider that might be less expensive, easier to use, or more reliable? I am intrigued by a brand called Leica that puts out the "mojoRTK". They are a Swiss company with an office in Colorado and they advertise some very good RTK accuracies and also state that there is no yearly subscription fee for their signal service. Has anyone had any experience with this brand or heard any feedback about them? Also, since I am starting from scratch, is it better to have a hydraulic steering valve or an "assisted steering" replacement wheel that goes in the cab and is actuated electrically? I am also concerned by the fact that the autosteer companies that require a yearly subscription might start increasing the subscription rate after they know you have a considerable investment in their equipment and you are "addicted" to the convenience. Kind of like the chemical and seed companies have got going right now with the Roundup Ready technology, since we are spoiled by it and now they start raising the price of the tech fee and the chemical.

Edited by jstroh 4/20/2008 21:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)