AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Paying off 0% loans .... Your thoughts?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 1/21/2014 08:33 (#3621954 - in reply to #3620268)
Subject: Thank you all for the responses......

I gleaned a bit of good info from each one. I'll fill in a few more gaps on this deal.

As most of you know, I'm kinda semi retired already due to my health issues. I sold my home place here to the neighbors next door. I have it in the contract I can live here as long as I want to/can.

Living 100 miles from town, I realize at some point it would probably be best to move to town to be closer to my doctors. So a house in town should be on my list as my next major purchase.

This is arid western SD ranch country. The only farming I rarely do is to seed my hayfields back to alfalfa. Thus I have no need for tile, fertilizer, or chemicals. I have contemplated building a machine shed at my neighbor's place to store my hay equipment and leave room for his 2 pickups. My 2 old Ford tractors, hydroswing, and rake now sit outside in the elements. The rake is new and worth more than the other stuff put together.

I have the new tractor here at home for the winter. Haven't had to move any snow yet. There is a quonset here I could park the tractor inside, My baler is currently in the dealer's lot awaiting off season maintenance special. When it comes home, there is room for the baler in the quonset. I'm not up to shovelling the quonset door out after a big snow if I want to use the tractor. So I leave the tractor outside by the light pole where I can plug it in.

I retained ownership of another place 17 miles from where I live. I take in cattle there for summer pasture and put up hay with the help of a neighbor. Neighbor gets share of hay for his labor, we use my equipment. Neighbor pretty much does all the wrenching and grunt work because I can't do it any more.

My new tractor with a nice AC cab allows me to still put full days in the hayfield that I couldn't otherwise. Tractor has 129 hrs since June. With no cattle to feed and an open winter I'm not putting any hours on now.

One thing I especially appreciate and respect here at NAT is Tommy's experience and thoughts on financial matters. I might go halfway with his advice on this deal. If I double my payments on the car I can have the car paid off by this fall in 2 yrs instead of 3. Keep the full coverage ins on the car for a few more years. For now, I'll keep paying as I am on the tractor.

Edited by John SD 1/21/2014 08:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)