AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

HP requirements for 8 row planter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 1/15/2014 18:34 (#3606470 - in reply to #3606336)
Subject: Re: HP requirements for 8 row planter

I pulled a 4 row 7000 no till with fertilizer disk openers with my MF-135 and it didn't work it hard. I throttled back to about 1650 RPM (2200 RPM is plowing speed) and geared up to 4.7 mph sometimes carrying my 65 gallon three point sprayer for supplying fertilizer to the coulters. Based on that experience I'd pick the tractor that can best handle the tongue weight and then throttle back and gear up. Alternatively since I have separated lift and marker hydraulics so I can get the marker down faster at the beginning of a pass I'd limit my choice to the tractor that has dual remotes on the hydraulics. That precludes me using my 4020 for planting, but that's OK, the mechanical steering of the 135 lets me drive straighter than the 4020 and plants the whole place of a quarter tank of fuel, while the 4020 would use that much fuel just idling.

I planted for a few years with a 6 row cyclo 400 in 30" rows with the MF-135. For that machine the 135 was not master, sometimes while turning the rear of the tractor would skid sideways with the row units raised. But it also had to run the blower with belts and that took several horsepower.

I don't think I could keep the front wheels of my MF-135 on the ground with an 8 row 7000 on the hitch, but I think it would pull it just fine. Just with the front wheels in the air its hard to plant straight rows.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)