AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trimble RTK value
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Canucker
Posted 1/14/2014 16:56 (#3603583 - in reply to #3597272)
Subject: Re: Trimble RTK value

I was involved with the setup of the VRS network in this area. For the VRS network Trimble survey grade base stations were used (around 30k a unit) instead of Ag grade base stations (12k a unit) because the ag ones weren't precise enough. Trimble Ag base stations are rated sub inch 95% of the time. This is for a system that sends data back and forth from the internet to virtualize a local base station. Something to do with inaccuracies being magnified when all the data is collected and sent out again from a server I think. Didn't entirely understand the reasoning, but the VRS network uses NETR9 bases and our normal ag base stations are 542s. I don't believe survey grade is required with a 900 or 450 mhz network because in those networks you should always have a base station with 8-12 miles.

One other thought, I know Trimble has Xfill, (if you survey in the base station) so if you do lose RTK signal you have 20 minutes to keep running before you are unable to use autosteer. Very handy if you need to work through a low spot in the field that doesn't get radio coverage. I've done some testing on this myself and have been very impressed with it. I think 450mHz radios are more forgiving of terrain and obstacles than 900mHz but we don't have radio based RTK networks in this area so it's not something I'm overly familiar with.

I get the impression you seem to be leaning more towards JD. What advantages do you see to going JD for your farm application?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)