AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Opinions wanted on sandblasting equipment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tim4870
Posted 1/10/2014 13:22 (#3592664 - in reply to #3591934)
Subject: RE: Opinions wanted on sandblasting equipment

Southern MN
I've only repainted rims, and occasionally some replacement parts that came in the wrong color, but I've never sandblasted. You don't need to get to bare metal if the current paint is sticking good. For loose paint and rust, I use a wire cup brush in my angle grinder. Go across everything, but don't push too hard on existing good paint or you will burn the paint. Wear a dust mask and eye protection, paint, rust, and dirt will cloud up around you, not to mention wires that will stick into your clothing. After that, I might take my woodworking finish sander (yeah, I'm too cheap to buy an orbital sander) to smoothen out where the wire brush may have scratched into existing paint. Then I just paint with a good primer and top coat using about a $100 HVLP paint gun ordered off of Amazon.

I've never tackled anything larger like a gravity wagon, but I would think it would be doable using a wire cup brush to clean it up. Where my method might not work is when you can't get the wire cup brush into tight areas.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)