AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need Grain Setup Help!!!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Chad H
Posted 1/8/2014 13:22 (#3586453 - in reply to #3583937)
Subject: RE: Need Grain Setup Help!!!!

NE SD
Been watching this to see what others thought. We finished a leg system and added a bin this fall. You'll end up over $4 and if you go with a fancy setup over $5. There are some things that can be done to cheapen it up. We started with an existing bin site and are trying to make things work. Hopefully at some point replace more smaller bins with big ones. I don't know that I agree with a tall leg to hit a bunch of bins. Downspout condensation is a concern of mine. Taller legs require bigger cranes, and big cranes are expensive to have on site. The big crane is over $400/hour. Your millwright will tell you he will only need it for a day.....then it rains, or the wind picks up. Pretty soon you have $10k into just the big crane, not to mention the smaller one that does most of the work. A leg that can hit two rows of bins and use drag conveyors to move it down the rows probably makes more sense. The two rows of bins can share one reclaim conveyor. Shorter fatter bins can sit on a flat pad rather than a "commercial" foundation. A commercial foundation with tunnel gets very expensive. On the other side of the legs you can place a wet bin and dryer. I would highly recommend putting the legs in one tower and adding stairs. It is more expensive but definitely worth it. The pit will eliminate a truck and driver that you will normally need.

As mentioned, I would try to do it in stages if we were to do it again, but work with someone who knows how to plan a system. FSA loans are cheap.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)