AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn burning stoves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boa628
Posted 1/5/2014 23:39 (#3578062 - in reply to #3577186)
Subject: Re: Corn burning stoves

SWOH
I've had a St.Croix Auburn for about 10 years now, the only problem I've had with it is the combustion fan went out one night and filled the living room with smoke. Other than that I've been happy with it. From my experience the drier the corn the better...and the cleaner the better. I've never broke an auger but it sounds horrible when it gets something jammed in it. And it seems the flame snuffs out a little if there's a lot of fines or dust. One downside to a corn stove is if the power goes out, it'll fill the house up with smoke...when they shut down with power they run the fan for quite a while after the auger shuts down to give the smoke a chance to go outside, but if the fan quits or the power goes out it gets smokey real fast. They make a battery backup system for corn and pellet stoves just for that very reason but I don't recall what they are or the cost. Also make sure it's an actual corn stove or biofuel stove that can burn corn...the pots are different than a pellet stove and if you use a pellet stove for corn you'll melt the pot. I start mine with pellets and a little bit of rubbing alcohol.

Like I said, mine is about 10 years old...I'm sure they've added some things here and there since then to make them "better".
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)