AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn burning stoves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hesston8465a
Posted 1/5/2014 20:27 (#3577307 - in reply to #3577186)
Subject: RE: Corn burning stoves

Parsons Kansas
My mom has an American Harvest corn stove. Built by US Stove company. Had it for about 4 years or so. We do just buy corn for it right out of the field. Just store it in a gravity wagon under a shed.

One problem is pieces of corn stalk being in the corn and getting the auger stuck in the stove. The cleaner the corn the better off you are but like I said it was straight out of the combine.

I don't know if it will burn 17 to 18% moisture or not. Wettest corn we have ever put through it was 15%. I also understand we are in a much different climate then you are.

It replaced a wood stove and was a great move for mom. She had a hard time loading the stove with wood and was scared of the sparks when she opened the door. Wood pieces were heavy for her to handle also. She can fill the corn stove with a little pail and it won't be too much weight for her to handle and I'll fill it with a 5 gallon bucket. It still gets filled she just has to make a few more trips. She has a little box on the back porch that may hold 10 bushel or so and that will last her about a week and a half. May hold a little more then that. It will burn about 3 to 4 five gallon buckets of corn in a 24hr period. Mom likes her house warm! That's fine whatever makes her happy.

She had it when corn was about 8$ per bushel and that hurt when she bought her "corn for the winter" but she was still glad she had it and was not sorry one bit about burning corn. She will burn about 90 bushel per winter now that I think about it.

I do know when we build our new house it will have a corn furnace in it. Hope this helps. Good luck and stay warm. Darren
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)