AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planter Tractor:
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 4/14/2008 08:55 (#357568 - in reply to #357552)
Subject: One other thing

Pittsburg, Kansas

One other thing I thought of when the DTAC solution said "don't do it".

Sometimes "don't do it" might mean they don't know how to do it. Although pretty sharp guys, they may not know everything.

Sometimes "don't do it" might mean it is way more trouble than it is worth so other solutions are better, don't waste your time.

Sometimes "don't do it" means that it will cause damage to your system.

Unfortunately DTAC in this situation didn't explain why to "don't do it". They just said that the open center system is not compatible with hydraulic motors. That seems kind of funny since Hypro and Ace sprayer pumps make hydraulic driven sprayer pumps specifically designed for open center system tractors (they either have a big enough motor sized for the oil flow of the tractor or an internal metering needle valve that you can open to divert excess oil flow).

One potential problem I just thought of. If this tractor relies on the flow of hydraulic fluid through the remote valves and 3pt to dump in on top of the transmission or rear end for lubrication purposes, potentially diverting the oil continuously out the hydraulic outlet might not dump the oil back in the same place that is needed for lubrication. The oil coming back in the return side would go back to the sump but it might not go the same place as when the oil is flowing freely through the open center system and not being used. With normal hydraulic use that is mostly intermittent this would not pose a problem, diverting the oil on something continuous might be. I don't know. I think this is a very remote possibility but just don't know. Just something I thought of that could be a reason they said to "don't do it". Would have been nice if they gave an explanation of why not to do it. I sure do not want to cause the tractor owner grief.

John

Edited by John Burns 4/14/2008 09:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)