AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rate logging integra
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/2/2014 12:47 (#3566896 - in reply to #3566755)
Subject: RE: rate logging integra

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Either module can be used to log rate but not control it. I have set up many systems both ways. The place I used to work before retirement setup lots of starter fertilizer systems that were ground driven. It was desirable to be able to monitor the rate applied so the stroke of the ground driven pump could be set correctly.

The most straight forward way would be to use the Application Rate Module. This Module can be used for a variety of purposes. A flowmeter (often a Raven RFM 15 for starter) is connected to the Application Rate Module. The module is connected to the Ag Leader CAN bus. For setup, the operator inputs the entire width of the implement (only one section is allowed) and the meter cal for the flowmeter. The system calculates the applied rate as well as speed, acres, etc. The logging can start/stop based on product flow although it is possible to tie in an implement switch. No target rate is entered as the module does not have control capabilities.

In many cases, the farmer already had a liquid setup for a sprayer where they used the auxiliary input module/switchbox in the tractor and had a liquid module either in the cab or on the sprayer. Often they wanted to use the components they had rather than buy the Application Rate module. This can work fine. Just because there are wires to run a control valve, it doesn't mean that they need to be used.

The starter flowmeter was connected to the Liquid module with no connection for the control valve or ON/OFF valves. It was necessary to enter a target rate although the system would not be able to control things. If the computed applied rate was in close agreement with the target rate, the system did nothing. If the computed applied rate was out of tolerance compared to the target rate, the control section would attempt to change the rate. Since nothing was connected to the control wires, the Ag Leader would not be able to change the rate. If the applied computed rate was out of tolerance by a sizable margin, it would sound an alarm. This works well since the ground driven system will react to ground speed and increase/decrease its output proportionately. The implement switch connection on the module could be connected to an implement switch on the planter so that the system would not complain when the planter was raised on the headlands.

As some else mentioned this scheme is often used with certain Deere sprayers for automatic section control and/or injection systems. On the 4720 that I used to have, the brown box was still used for controlling the carrier product. An Auxiliary Input Module tied into the boom section switches so that it "knew" which sections the operator allowed to be ON. The output from the liquid module connected to wiring that was formerly connected to the Boom switches. In this way the Ag Leader could shut off sections as sprayed areas were encountered. The control section of the liquid module was not used. A tee in the flowmeter wiring allowed both the Ag Leader and Deere systems to get the flow information.

When I went out to spray I had to set the target rate in the brown box as usual. The brown box controlled the rate as usual. I also had to set this same rate into the Ag Leader system for the carrier. I had to set the rate for the injected product into the Ag Leader system as well. This may sound confusing but the two systems worked together very well. If the Deere control system was not able to handle the rate, alarms on both the Deere and Ag Leader would sound.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)