AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Septic tank additives
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

9600Sidehill
Posted 12/30/2013 15:00 (#3558369 - in reply to #3558058)
Subject: Re: Septic tank additives

Idaho
I know exactly what you just went through because I dug mine up 3 weeks ago when it was zero out. My access hole was down 3 feet and nothing better than chipping through frozen ground... I ended up not having mine pumped but my problem was roots in my line between my house and tank.

I asked the plumber who snaked my line what I could do to help the bacteria in my tank. He said to never dump large amounts of bleach into the septic tank but bleach from the washing machine was ok. He said to definitely dump down septic additives. The additives are kind of expensive (walmart brand was $16 and that was just for one month). So I have been looking into making my own. Many plumbing forums recommend yeast, water and sugar, however I found several websites that say to do nothing because yeast can cause solids from the bottom to break down too fast and float to the top and exit. They then leave the tank and then plug drain fields. So for every website I found telling me to do something I found just as many saying to do nothing...

Here is a chart that I found that shows how often it should be pumped: http://greenrisks.blogspot.com/2011/11/holiday-septic-backup-and-wh...

I also learned that when I am really mad and it is zero out and I am digging up my septic tank with a shovel all I need to keep warm is a sweatshirt...

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)