AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ontrac2 vs ezpilot?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

caseihfarmer
Posted 12/12/2013 10:41 (#3512397 - in reply to #3511044)
Subject: RE: Ontrac2 vs ezpilot?

East Central, Nebraska
I own both, and have dealt with both companies for approx. 15 years now. I have had ez steers, older ontracs, and older up to the newest displays from both companies.

Agleader will always be my favorite, I never assume that dealer support will be the same from any company. when it comes down to it, when yours doesn't work and so doesn't everyone elses, the guy that bought the $20,000 autopilot on RTK is going to get the call back before the guy that bought the ezsteer on waas. that is where agleader shines, they will awnser the phone when your dealer wont. so your not only getting dealer support but support from the company that made it. You will NOT get trimble to answer the phone (or for that matter even find a number to call them).

As for the systems here is what I know, maybe it isn't worth anything but I own both and can give you an opinion most people can not. I bought both systems last year with what their tasks will be in mind before I wrote a check. I bought the ezpilot and a 750 display to put in my planter tractor and hopefully move to my windrower, this system is unlocked all the way to RTK so I could utilize the RTX signal. I expected a little more out of it when planting but did not spend a whole lot of time getting it tuned in better, when I say that I mean that I expected a reaction more like you would get from an auto pilot when acquiring a line, I got more of the same reaction that the ez-steer gave me, but when holding the line it worked awesome. Then it really shined when it went to the windrower, no system before it was able to steer my windrower at 12mph, it was awesome. An ez-steer would not have been capable of this, I know because I tried several times. I bought this system over an auto pilot to be able to reduce the cost by using it all year in multiple vehicles.

As for the ontrac, the first thing I will tell you is that if someone tries to sell you an ontrac, or an ontrac2, do not buy them. if they are giving them to you take them, they aren't completely worthless but pretty close. The ontrac2+ is what you want. I cant tell you how much they have improved that system. I put it on a cih mxu 135 to use spreading lime at 8+ mph on rough ground, seeding alfalfa and a few other things, then moved it to my john deere combine for soybean harvest. I loved it.

Here is the kicker, when you talk about upgrading accuracy, the ontrac2+ will take a signal from trimble, I use the trimble rtx signal on my ontrac2+ when I am not planting or cutting hay. that gives me rtk like accuracy but lets me use my agleader equiptment. then when I only require a waas only signal I plug my agleader 1500 back in. one more thing, the ezpilot is not fun to move. it takes some time pulling off steering wheels and such, but I could not get those results from a ez steer so I deal with it. the ontrac2+ motor can be moved from vehicle to vehicle in seconds.

hope this helps

Edited by caseihfarmer 12/12/2013 10:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)