AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2008 Kinze 3650 ISOBUS?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

KMech
Posted 12/9/2013 18:45 (#3505260 - in reply to #3503974)
Subject: Re: 2008 Kinze 3650 ISOBUS?

Missouri
The ISOBUS system is plug in compatible with Ag Leader components on the planter toolbar (sensors and clutches). The modules are different. It will have an ISO PMM (planter monitor module) and a PCM (planter control module), several cables, and a different harness running up the tongue to the front of the planter. Everything other than that is the same as an Ag Leader planter, in fact you may be better off getting the clutching components from an Ag Leader dealer. Their parts are packaged into kits designed to be installed on existing planters, right down to instructions that are in enough detail to really simplify installation. I don't know if Kinze offers that stuff in a retrofit type kit (check with your local Kinze salesman, he should know, or can find out). If they don't, that would would mean piecing it together out of individual parts, which is not always the most cost effective solution.

I can think of one thing that may be a snag with this. Ag Leader equipment is made to fit anything, it's very flexible with regard to configuration options. The ISOBUS system is a little less flexible. It is limited to preprogrammed planter profiles in the ISO PMM. Some variables, like planter tongue length, are built into the preprogrammed planter profiles. As far as I know, there is not a way to manually enter that information, so you are limited to the options available. Without having an ISOBUS planter in front of me, I do not know if there is a 3650 option there (although I believe the overall dimensions of a 3660 work out awful close to the same). If the programmed dimensions are off, the clutches will miss the target. They were thorough on the list of preprogrammed options that were included, there are options in it that will allow the system to be retrofit to planters that have never been factory equipped with it, I just don't know off the top of my head if a 3650 is in that list. I think within the next week or two I will see another ISO planter coming through the shop. If I do, when I get a screen hooked up to it, I will see if a 3650 is in the list. If so, it will be great. If not, it may still be doable, but you might have to tell the electronics that the planter is a "3660".

You will need, at minimum:
1 clutch per row unit.
1 clutch hardware kit per 4 row units. Interplant rows take different hardware kits than rear rows, and one kit has hardware to install 4 rows.
1 toolbar harness kit. It contains two 1/2 planter harnesses (left and right)
1 clutch section adapter cable. This connects the toolbar harnesses (L & R halves) together, and then also to the clutch control port of the PCM cable
1 interplant harness kit (if you are clutching your interplant rows as well
1 implement switch kit. I strongly recommend Kinze's imp. switch kit. Ag Leader's whisker switch is substantially cheaper, both in terms of price, and quality/reliability. You will solve a problem before it starts by not using a whisker switch on your planter.
1 ISO PMM
1 ISO PCM
Several module cables. This is still new enough I don't have them committed to memory yet. When I get time, I will attach the relevant page of the parts manual.
An ISOBUS implement cable. This is the one that goes down the tongue. The exact length is difficult to know, as there is no part number that is exactly specified for this planter model.
A Kinze module mounting box. This is not absolutely necessary, but does offer the modules substantial protection from the elements, and is a very good idea. I don't know if there is one that was ever factory equipped to a 3650, so minor metal fab work may be necessary to adapt a 3660 or a 3600 module mounting box.
It will be necessary to have polarity changing reverser cables on the toolbar harness, OR repin the connectors on the harness. Otherwise the clutches will get reverse polarity power. This can fry clutches in a hurry, and is definitely something to be careful about.

That may or may not be all, but it's my turn to cook dinner tonight. I'll be back later to check if I've omitted anything.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)