AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag leader in JD tractors
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 12/7/2013 08:37 (#3498141 - in reply to #3497972)
Subject: Re: Ag leader in JD tractors

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
KMech - 12/7/2013 06:23

Part Number: 4100927
Part Name: JD CAN STEER UNLOCK (GEOSTEER)
List Price: $515.00

I don't know about the other one. That unlock comes from Deere.

I purchased a Deere 8310R this summer. I went with an Integra and Geosteer for steering this tractor. As KMech indicates this will work through the Deere CAN system and uses the Deere components on the tractor. These components include the Deere wheel position sensor, steering valves, Engage switch etc.

As mentioned two unlocks are needed. The Geosteer unlock listed above and also one on the Deere side. The Deere unlock is $250.00. This seems a bit strange since the Deere unlock to allow for a complete Deere steering solution is more. Possibly part of the Ag Leader unlock price ends up going to Deere through the back door.

In addition to the Integra and Geosteer components, a special cable is needed to go from the GeoSteer Electronic Control unit (mounted on the floor of the cab) to the Deere CAN connector. The Deere CAN connector on my tractor is a 9 pin AMP connector on the edge of the right window. My installer removed the 9 pin connector and replaced with a blank one to fill the hole. The real connector was then tucked in below the trim where it connects to the GeoSteer cable. This made for a cleaner install as the connection is hidden that way.

This tractor will be used for planting our next year's crop. So far it has just been used for tillage situations. I was concerned about how well the Ag Leader and Deere systems would cooperate. So far this has worked well once the original Deere Engage switch was replaced. The switch was a bit "sticky" and didn't always return to the neutral position when released. The Deere system checks for that and would refuse to engage at times due to that problem. Once the switch was replaced, the system always engaged as expected. The Deere system engages shortly after the switch is pushed whereas the Trimble systems that I have engage when the switch is released.

The Ag Leader system of line organization works well for me as I have had Ag Leader Insights for several years. I did some playing with the SmartPath guidance pattern and it looks like it should work out well for use at planting time. I have a neighbor who has a Deere planting tractor with a setup much like mine. He also has a Deere 9000 track tractor that uses the Deere solution. He says that although the Deere system works, he prefers the Ag Leader system for managing AB lines etc. He felt that since I was familiar with that concept I would be disappointed with the Deere solution.

Edited by tedbear 12/7/2013 16:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)