AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Deere or Ag Leader - new to GPS and picking a system
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Mattchu60
Posted 12/6/2013 08:43 (#3495503)
Subject: Deere or Ag Leader - new to GPS and picking a system

NC IA
I am looking to buy a new (or used) Guidance system. We currently have nothing and have been planting with markers. We are going from a 12 row to a 16 row planter and harvesting with a 6 row head, so it seems like its time to get guidance.

I've done a lot of reading and searching, but I still need some help. I'm pretty sure I want to get RTK guidance as we want really accurate rows for planting. I'll try to give you guys a lot of info below so its easy for you to help:

Here's what the system will be asked to do:

- run a JD 7810 MFWD pulling 16 row kinze planter with electric row shutoffs (not autosteer ready) - this will be the primary reason for getting GPS, the next two things are other reasons to use it
- run a JD 9570 combine for combing beans at an angle (autosteer ready combine)
- occasionally be used on a JD 8330 for tillage, probably not often (also autosteer ready)

Been told in order to use the Kinze planter electric shutoffs the Ag leader and Deere systems will work with the Kinze harness. - The row clutches are made by Ag Leader on the Kinze.

So - would I be better off buying deere equipment or Ag Leader to start with? I'd like to stay with one manufacturer for everything. My first thought is go Deere since two of the three tractor/combines are Autosteer ready, and I should be able to "plug it in" to the tractor?

For the 7810 I would get the Deere ATU 200 or for Ag Leader get the Ontrac2+ to steer it. Either one of these perform better than the other?

The scary question - whats this going to cost me? I'm on a budget, like to stay under $10k including the activation - is that even possible? I would look at a few used things if needed. I do not care much about the monitor, unless it means I have to get a specific one to run RTK.

Edited by Mattchu60 12/6/2013 09:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)