AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

best college fb rivalry in your state
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

marquee
Posted 12/2/2013 09:40 (#3485435 - in reply to #3481926)
Subject: RE: best college fb rivalry in your state

johns_79 - 11/30/2013 19:53
Sheep Herder - 11/30/2013 15:53

We don't have an instate rivalry any more.   It used to be North Dakota State University Vs University of North Dakota, but UND put an end to it.  (I'm an NDSU grad).   Back in around 2003 when NDSU moved up to Division 1, the Athletic Director at UND got in a snit and called a press conference to announce that they were done playing NDSU and never wanted to play again because of the switch to D1. 

Well, low and behold, a few years later, after seeing just how successful NDSU was in D1, UND suddenly announced they were moving up too and suddenly NDSU was supposed to come running and play UND again.   Well, too bad, NDSU has moved on.   Our new rivals are both South Dakota State University, and the University of Northern Iowa.   Both of those games gets pretty intense.

So, we still have rivals, just not instate ones.   BTW, NDSU is ranked #1 in the nation in D1 FCS and we are shooting for our third straight National Title.

Right... Not going to get into a pi$$ing match, but for UND there was no reason to play a D1-AA school. Back then it really hurt your SOS because non division games, whether NAIA or D1 counted the same. The Sioux were pretty good back then, and it would have hurt playoff seeding to play the Bison, win or lose. Do I like the way the move was handled? No. I felt the two schools should have worked together on a move, even back in 2003 I thought the two schools would have a better shot at getting into a conference together as travel partners. I personally haven't been a big fan of the Sioux's moves athletically for the last 10 years, but with the nickname controversy maybe they haven't had a lot of options. Those games were fun, and I think it would be fun to play again, but NDSU has not moved on. They are still butt hurt about that press conference in 2003, and mentioned the Sioux after their first title in 2011. Sioux fans are more into hockey, football is secondary. Sioux fans are more upset about not playing Minnesota anymore on a regular basis. I know UND wouldn't beat NDSU for a few years, but things are cyclical, and someday the roles will be reversed. There is always a chance they will play in the playoffs at some point, and that will be very interesting.

Explain why UND cancelled playing all sports if it only affected football?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)