AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag leader edge
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 11/27/2013 08:10 (#3473268 - in reply to #3470568)
Subject: Re: Ag leader edge

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
pbutler - 11/26/2013 07:02

I was wondering about mounting to a piece of fiberglass-then doing some plastic shrink wrap type thing around the whole thing-then just bolting the fiberglass somewhere to keep it all dry....maybe overkill?

I don't know about the shrink wrap idea but I have seen problems where people went a bit too far with their attempts to keep things dry. One of the problems with getting a cover that is quite tight is that condensation can occur and the area doesn't dry back out which causes problems of its own.

I've seen some electric control valves and ON/OFF valves that have failed due to moisture. The manufacturer went to great steps to keep the moisture out which was next to impossible with pressure changes. I think it might have been better to allow some type of venting process to allow any condensation to eventually evaporate.

Just yesterday I wanted to move some corn. The horizontal auger out of the bin won't start. It had been balking occasionally in the past. After removing the cover on the motor it was pretty obvious that the capacitors had been damaged by moisture and the eventual corrosion. Replacing the capacitors with others from another motor got things working. Here the moisture might have been the result of rain but then again maybe due to condensation. The cover gasket looked pretty good.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)