AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Improvements for AgLeader GeoSteer on IN CORS?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

DG N. AL
Posted 11/21/2013 19:03 (#3459775 - in reply to #3458987)
Subject: Re: Improvements for AgLeader GeoSteer on IN CORS?

Hillsboro, AL
Walter, I was spreading fertilizer today. I lost signal a total of 2 times for probably about 10 seconds total. That is a typical day for me. My convergence times are consistently less than 1 minute. We have 3 units running. All are Trimble 432/442 units. We use a cell phone and send the signal to the internal bluetooth in the Trimble receivers. We had one period of time about a year ago when when we saw a lot of network problems. The state moved the CORS network onto the state computer network and behind their firewall. My understanding was that most of the problems were firewall problems. After a few weeks, they moved the system back to its own dedicated network and things have been extremely reliable since then.

I will add this. Using a single station mount point works better than a virtual (network) solution. We are close enough to 3 stations that we can use any of the 3 if need be. These 3 stations are also on a NASA network. If the state network does go down we can change to the NASA network in seconds and be running again. This redundancy is beneficial, but I don't think have have changed networks more than 2 or 3 times all year.

As I said above, GLONASS helps. There is no replacement for more satellites no matter what the correction source is.

We tried 900 Mhz radio systems from both Trimble and Auto Farm before going to the CORS system. In our terrain and topography a 900 Mhz system was useless. They flat did not work. A local dealer built an RTK network using 900 Mhz radios. In less than 6 months they pulling out all the 900 Mhz radios and replacing them with 450 Mhz. I fully realize that 900 Mhz is adequate in many locations. But not here. We have very good cell coverage. I have used Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T. All have performed adequately.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)