AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody have huge WAAS shifts yesterday?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

KMech
Posted 11/18/2013 05:47 (#3451603 - in reply to #3450209)
Subject: Re: Anybody have huge WAAS shifts yesterday?

Missouri
It sounds like drift. There's probably nothing wrong with your Ag Leader system. It's annoying, but it's the nature of the beast.

Once, in 10 years, I have had WAAS move by a full header swath (probably was 18 feet at that time, I don't remember for certain). It was on a day when all the news outlets were talking about solar flare activity. Outside of that, it doesn't usually move more than a foot or two. I have used field boundaries from years ago, and AB lines from last year, and found the repeatability of them, on WAAS, to be much better than they are supposed to be.

One morning last spring, I was adjusting autoswath settings on a new planter, and that what is normally a quick, easy adjustment, gave me fits all morning getting that machine to clutch properly. Later that day, after 3 or 4 customers had called my about GPS problems, I figured out WAAS had been rapidly drifting a few feet that morning. When you're trying to get your clutches to hit a specific on/off point, give or take 6 inches, it's a real pain. It would be nice if there was a website that reported "GPS weather" that would one could go to and look up the current GPS drift for one's present location, at that moment in time. Presently, the only thing I have to go by is call volume. Right now, I just gauge it by call volume. When I get the second phone call from another customer, within an hour, I know it's an area wide GPS-positional error (drift) issue. They typically seem to resolve themselves within an hour or two.

The really telling thing for me that day was the customer who called in, with two GPS systems in his tractor. He had a Trimble autosteer system, and an Ag Leader Integra display for seed command. They were both off in the same direction, by the same distance (each system had it's own GPS receiver). That's the most surefire way I can think of for determining it must be drift. Come to think of it, maybe I should call that guy back every time I need to know if GPS is drifting.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)