AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Using AgStudio from Mapshots - Data ownership/control concerns and other thoughts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

knucklebuster
Posted 11/15/2013 00:47 (#3445459 - in reply to #3445433)
Subject: RE: Using AgStudio from Mapshots - Data ownership/control concerns and other thoughts

Stewart, MN
ntbill,

Nice post! David stepped aside at SST?, Matt's running the show now I presume? As I'm not a subscriber to SST, any interpretation of the current EULA would be appreciated. If I had somewhat unlimited resources and wanted to sit in the middle and make money from both sides I know exactly what I would do. Unfortunately, this goes against anything my previous 50 yrs. have taught me. If producers don't want to accept that margins will be squeezed from both sides (inputs and sales/marketing) by this sort of evolution in sharing and open access I don't know how to open their eyes. Actually, just hoping to generate discussion and get people thinking vs. pushing the Easy Button like you say. I'm in the producer camp. I know several people who drove their tractors to DC in 76, I understand the struggles over the years with all of the embargos, ldp's, farm bill fiascos, etc. I firmly believe that SST's business model is slanted more towards reselling the aggregation than generating fees from the producer. Just a perk for them that they can charge you for their services and the rehypothecate the aggregate data? Sorry, the tinfoil slipped over my eyes again. Would love to be proved wrong. It's too bad because the model they had in the past nailed it. It can be done locally, open source, and achieve the same results but will require a little more work and some connections. To me, that's where the value is at.

Your XYZ dealer insight is also spot on as their goal is to maximize their top line based on the product mix they have available for sale in a given year. Which is not exactly the same as, "this is the best hybrid for you this year, bar none". A lot of things probably go into their decisions, growing zones, prior year seed production, test plot results, expected current season growing conditions, etc. But the bottom line for them is to maximize their sales dollars across a large region with a product mix, i.e., seed for sale, that was cooked up months ago. Who hasn't had a turd variety that looked good on some test plots the previous couple of years? You went with it and some 3 yr. old variety kicked it's butt? Maybe someday it will all be one seed per growing zone, you'll just order by lattitude. What a mono-culture that will be!

KB
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)