AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any reviews after a year of AL geosteer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 11/3/2013 07:38 (#3420877 - in reply to #3420823)
Subject: RE: Any reviews after a year of AL geosteer?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have a Deere 8310R with GeoSteer/Integra. In this tractor the Deere system is involved. I have only had it a short time and this fall is the first experience with it. With this combination the Deere engage switch is used as well as the Deere steering valve/sensors etc. The Geosteer communicates with the Deere system via a CAN connection.

I did have an engagement issue. About 90% of the time it worked fine. We believe we have traced this to a "sticky" Deere engagement switch which got replaced yesterday. I have not talked to my brother who ran it yesterday to see if the switch always engages now. Apparently the problem was that the Deere switch was not always solidly returning to the Neutral position. Apparently a connection is made (or should be) when the switch is released. From viewing the diagnostics, it was determined that this was not always happening.

Otherwise what little I have run it, it seems fine. Last year I rented a Challenger tracked tractor from a neighbor who had a Versa/Geosteer in it. This seemed to work well. This year I borrowed his Deere tractor which has a Versa/Geosteer in it to mark some tile lines. This too, seemed fine.

I plan on using the Deere 8310R with the newer planter next spring. It will be steering, doing seed operations of Section control and monitoring, as well as monitoring starter fertilizer and controlling spray. The Geosteer was a used unit that did not work out for the previous owner. I'm not sure on the details of that situation. The GeoSteer is unlocked for Glonass. I plan on activating OmniStar XP for planting next Spring. It is currently running with WAAS.

I have steering on several other tractors with various combinations of equipment. I have an 8120 with an unlocked Insight and Nav II controller running through external steering valves as that tractor was not autotrack ready when it was shipped. This 8120 formerly pulled a planter. During planting season I used Omnistar XP with the short term subscription. The Insight on it worked with the steering, planter section control, fertilizer monitoring and spray control.

I also have an 8310 with a Trimble 750/Nav II controller again running through external steering valves. My nephew has a 7830 which uses a Trimble 250 with Trimble's EZ-Steer.

The Ag Leader interface for creating and manipulating lines is far superior. I only use Ag Leader displays for product control. My exposure as a former tech has left a bad taste for trying to use Trimble devices for product control.

At this point I would recommend the GeoSteer but I don't have planting experience yet.

Edited by tedbear 11/3/2013 07:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)