AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Section Control on AL Insight
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/27/2013 08:10 (#3407002 - in reply to #3406497)
Subject: RE: Section Control on AL Insight

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
641cfrank - 10/26/2013 20:50

OK I've got a strip till machine that is 18 rows and I can also fold the wings to do 12 rows. I've got section shutoffs for the liquid fertilizer. It has 9 section so it shuts off every two rows. Ive got two different implements set up in the Insight so I can switch back and forth. My problem is I'm not sure how to set up the 12 rows. I need to only use the middle sections... how do I do that to put it simply? It won't let me select which valves I want to use. Steering is done with a FMX so that is not an issue.

I thought I had a solution for you but after drawing it out, I don't think using 9 - 2 row sections works out very well when taking 12 rows. Since you want the 6 sections in the middle to be operational when doing 12 rows you would need to have 3 sections always off. This would mean 1 1/2 sections OFF on each end. If the rig was plumbed and wired in 6-3 row sections I think I have a solution. Then for the 18 row situation all 6 sections would be available. In the 12 row situation the outer section on each end would be OFF.

Supposing you had the liquid plumbed and wired in 6 - 3 row sections. Then you would need two configurations - one for the 18 row situation and another for the 12 row situation. You would need 3 implements, a 12 row strip till implement, an 18 row strip till implement and an 18 row liquid implement in 6-3 row sections.

For the 12 row configuration a strip till implement would be defined with the correct 12 row width and other parameters that apply when doing 12 rows. Another implement can be defined for the liquid portion. I find it helpful to think of this as one implement pulling another although this is not really the case. The liquid implement would be defined as an 18 row unit (45' with 30" rows) setup in 6 sections. By default these sections will be assigned to switches on the switchbox. The default setting may be acceptable to you but can be changed if desired. When doing 12 rows, the switches controlling sections 1 & 6 would be in the OFF position. You might want to redefine the switch positions so that switch 10 for example might shut off both sections 1 & 6. So if my thinking is correct, the strip-till portion will apply properly as it is living in its own world. The liquid portion should work properly as sections 1 & 6 would never be ON and autoswath will correctly control the remaining sections properly. The rate of the liquid should be proper since the system adjusts the flow based on the number of sections that are ON at any given time.

For the 18 row configuration a strip till implement would be defined with the correct 18 row width and other parameters that apply when doing 18 rows. The same liquid implement can be used since it was properly defined above. This time the switch or switches controlling sections 1 & 6 would be in the ON position.

When doing 12 rows, the operator would need to pick the 12 row configuration and shut off the switch or switches that control sections 1 & 6 so that they never come ON. When doing 18 rows the operator would pick the 18 row configuration and have the switch or switches that control sections 1 & 6 ON.

I would name the two configurations as: 12 row Strip-till (Shut off outer sections) and 18 row Strip-till (Outer sections ON). You may have to abbreviated to shorten the names.

Since you are using a separate device for steering, it would be setup for 30' or 45' to match the situation.

Now you probably don't want to replumb and rewire the 9 sections although I think it would be proper. I guess you could use my idea and just shutoff sections 1 & 9. This would make the liquid portion effectively a 14 row rig which would double apply the liquid on the overlap.

Edited by tedbear 10/27/2013 13:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)