AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Loading SMS from Pro 600
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

DEHunter
Posted 10/15/2013 09:59 (#3384800 - in reply to #3383360)
Subject: Re: Loading SMS from Pro 600

I have the same question... This seems pretty worthless to me as a method to automatically track varieties. We did a comparison in one of our larger fields (around 150 acres)... We loaded our planter with 8 rows of pioneer and 8 rows of dekalb and planted the field back and forth. Using a JD GS2 monitor, we assigned the rows in the planter correctly, and it mapped each planter half as a swath. The SMS maps shows each half-planter swath as the correct variety. When I load the Pro700 usb stick with the planting data out of SMS Basic, it shows on the Pro700 like this:
 photo pro700varietymap_zps53bb2f2c.jpg

The two shades of blue are supposed to be 16 rows of a specific variety.. When we are harvesting this corn, the Variety that the monitor thinks we are in jumps back and forth between the 2 varieties. Then when we unload the harvest data back into SMS, the information is pretty much useless... It looks like in each 8 row swath that we switched back and forth between the two varieties, when that is not what happened, and it's all because the Pro700 sees the as-planted data incorrectly, so it records the harvest data as if we are switching back and forth...

My opinion is that this is an issue between Agleader SMS and CaseIH AFS. Either Ag Leader is loading the data onto the USB stick as a grid instead of spacial (GPS) points in a swath, or the Pro700 (and 600) can only read the data as a grid. Either way, the technology to automatically track the planted variety is useless.

The only portion of the Variety Tracking that is worth it is if you use it manually and remember to switch the Variety in the combine monitor before you start harvesting that particular swath. However, if you forget just 1 time to switch to the opposite variety... you've screwed up the entire thing..

I have talked with Ag Leader Support and our local CaseIH Precision Dealer's support folks and they both tell me the same thing, there is no fix for it at this point. In all honesty, I think this techonology is just too new and the kinks haven't been worked out. Although why anyone chose to go this route and thought it was acceptable is beyond me...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)