AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mounting control modules
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 9/19/2013 06:21 (#3336413 - in reply to #3336331)
Subject: RE: Mounting control modules

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
hobby95 - 9/19/2013 01:00

How and where do most mount control modules like ag leader direct command? In the tractor or on the implement? I have my direct command and auxiliary modules in the tractor coiled up behind the seat, seems line kind of a mess and think there has to be a better way.

There really is no right or wrong way. Having the modules all in the tractor has advantages in some situations but as you say can be quite a mess.

I have quite a few combinations. In the combine, the modules are unique and are mounted about the combine since this is the only place they are used. With my situations involving the Liquid Module, In the past I often kept the auxiliary module and Liquid module in a plastic toolbox or bag and laid them in the corner of the cab. I then usually used the Raven adapter cable as a Raven system was used for control prior to that point.

Now that I am getting more modules, I have mostly switched to having the implement modules mounted on the implement. The newest tractor uses the switchbox that contains the auxiliary input circuitry and is permanently mounted in that tractor. This tractor will be pulling the newer planter where those modules, (Seed tube module, Clutch module, App Rate Module and liquid module) are mounted on the planter. Another tractor uses Demco Side Quest tanks and the liquid module is mounted on the support arms of the tanks mounts. The CAN/Power cable goes through a hole in the floor of the cab and leads directly to the arms rather than going out the back of the tractor as is usually done. The liquid module from the planter will be physically moved to the NH3 applicator and/or cultivator as needed.

I have complete wiring harnesses on each rig and just move the liquid module from the planter around. Now each tractor has the display wiring harness that includes the large CAN/Power connector to connect to an implement. I have two Insights and now one Integra altogether.

In the newest tractor (8310r), It was possible to route the cables for the display very nicely and they are hidden quite well. Since the Integra is also used for steering in that tractor, the display will stay with that tractor. This tractor uses Geosteer with Deere's CAN system. This requires a cable from GeoSteer to the 9 pin connector by the right window. My installer cleverly unscrewed the 9 pin connector and replaced it with an empty receptacle. The 9 pin connector was connected to the GeoSteer CAN cable but the connection of the two was laid within the well below the connector. This made for a neater install as the connection is out of sight.

Edited by tedbear 9/19/2013 06:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)