AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Insight to Integra
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 9/12/2013 07:20 (#3323268 - in reply to #3321453)
Subject: RE: Insight to Integra

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
In a sense I wrestled with this question this summer. I have two Insights that I have used for several years with good success. One tractor uses an Insight as the display for Trimble's autopilot. The Insights are used for planting, spraying, manure, harvesting etc.

I purchased a lease return 8310r this summer that will be used to pull a 24 row 1770NT planter. I wanted to use Ag Leader displays with the planter.

As I saw it I had three choices (actually more) for steering. I could activate the Deere steering and use it through the small Deere display, I could use one of my Insights with Autopilot and run the steering through the Deere CAN system. I could go with an Integra and Geosteer.

One of my neighbors used his Insight and Trimble autopilot from a former tractor and indicates that he gets along fine.

Right or wrong, I decided to go with a new Integra and Geosteer. Part of my reasoning was the advanced seed tube monitoring features of the Integra and the age of the Insight product. The planter got setup last week. It is a ground drive planter but has a Seed Tube monitoring module for Population, my used Clutch Control module for section control via SureVacs, my used Application rate module for monitoring my starter fertilizer (delivered by a ground driven pump) and a Liquid Product Control module for controlling spray tips behind each row.

This steering arrangement involves two unlocks. There is the "third party" unlock from Deere for the Ag Leader product and an unlock for the GeoSteer from Ag Leader. A special cable is also needed to connect the GeoSteer to the Deere CAN bus.

I haven't used the tractor yet in field conditions but "test" indications are favorable. I played with the SmartPath guidance pattern and feel that it should be workable for planting. In the past I generally just used the markers for the headlands and used a straight AB pattern for the field.

For this fall I will use the Insight that was in the planting tractor this spring. This Insight will have the variety maps in its memory so they will be available in the combine. Next year I will be planting with the Integra so the variety maps will be in it. I can install the Integra in the combine and have the planting maps available. The downside to that arrangement is that then the Integra would not be in the tractor for steering during that time frame. That may or may not be an issue.

If I plant with the Integra and harvest with an Insight I will not have the variety maps available onscreen. Of course I could have printed copies with me which is what I have done in the past when using a PF3000 several years ago. I haven't gotten the bill yet but it will be considerable.

Edited by tedbear 9/12/2013 07:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)