AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My own crop tour
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

RedPowerFarms
Posted 8/25/2013 08:10 (#3287147)
Subject: My own crop tour

SW MN
I took my own crop tour on my own farm yesterday. Let's see what we got! First stop......hmmmmmmmm, that looks like a Good spot to go in, my field. I am glad I know my own fields. Wouldn't want to get depressed now. Gotta stay optimistic. After all I farm ya know. Wow. Nice ears. And the silks are brown. And even yellow kernels. Ok, maybe 181 MN isn't so far off. Hmmmmm. Wait, what's that? White silks yet. When was this planted? May 3rd. Hmmmmm. But we got potential! This crop could be huge! I really don't want to look over there in that big low spot.
Let's go check another field. This should be my best this year. I have always felt good about this one. Sure glad I sidedress. Great stand here. Every plant has an ear, great! But they aren't all full size, hmmmmm. Still think it's my best field. Planted May 10. Note to self. Don't plan to combine this in Sept. Last year we were combining next week, hmmmmmm. And what is that gray hue when I look over the field? Why isn't it green? Don't know , but boy it's hot out here.
Let's check another field. This one was planted May 17. Oh boy, don't bring back that memory about how long the planting season went. Uck. I'm still tired thinking about that. That looks like a Good spot to go in. Hmmmm, the ears aren't as big. But they are getting yellow. A few more white silks though. But we got potential to combine at least. Let's not look at those big short spots in this field though, too depressing. Shucks, I did when I drove away and could overlook the field. Wow, is it uneven. Knee high with brown, you know what the yield monitor will say there.

Let's check the beans. Oops, forgot the hula hoop! Now that's a memory! Anyway, we got pods! Flat pods. But why are the bottom third ones only one and two beaners? I don't like that. But we are getting more pods and blossoms on the top. Amazing what 2 inches of rain on August can do. We haven't had that for several years. Hey! We gotta be optimistic right? They have that gray hue too though. And they are uneven too. Oh well.

Time to go home. Ok, so what did we learn here. We got great potential for August 1st. Oh silly me, it's the middle of August. No......., next weekend is Labor Day? Really? Should I get the combine out of the shed? Last year we combined right after Labor Day. Naw, not yet. We've got six weeks to get that ready.
Time to check the forecast. Gotta plan ahead you know. Oh no! 100 degrees this week. Hey! We already had a 100 this year. Yeah that was a deal. Sunday morning we froze and Tuesday we got to 100. I wonder if that can do that in reverse? Now that's not a pleasant thought!

So should I market something this week? Naw, we got six weeks to figure out what we will have. I am comfortable with what I have sold right now. Besides, it's too hard for me to figure out what I WILL have. The crystal ball just gives too many possibilities, of which the least possibility is a perfect ending to this crop. Oh well, at least we tried, and boy was that hard work this year. Later.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)