AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

precision planting, ag leader or deere yield monitor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

bigswede
Posted 7/15/2013 21:31 (#3210583 - in reply to #3210163)
Subject: Re: precision planting, ag leader or deere yield monitor

I guess from experience and the PP marketing does a good job of showing this. When you get in a high flow area you get more grain on grain contact, which depending on moisture, the force against the flow sensor could vary as the year goes on. Even if you check calibration on a daily basis its hard to catch those changes. I work pretty hard to keep my monitor calibrated correctly and it does a nice job. I think it could do a better job. That being said most guys are not keeping their monitors this close. I've seen this in areas where you hit a pocket of 270+ bu corn and your clean grain is at capacity. It maxes out then just hangs there as the grain cleans out. I realize this is a limitation of my clean grain system (2388) however the relocation of the flow sensor to a place where you would have a consistent area that will act in much the same way every time makes sense to me. Also the change from a rubber paddle that is usually malformed to a solid piece of plastic that would throw grain the same way every time also makes sense.

I think if you move to a system which measures essentially the same "clean" amount every time without it coming into contact with other grain or parts of the housing (low flows) would be a good thing. Honestly I feel like this is something that all the combine companies could do to improve accuracy and I don't think it would take a whole lot of engineering. Especially a more resilient paddle.The Ag Leader system has consistently shown itself to be very accurate in most situations and in field size loads its darn near perfect if maintained and calibrated (I've had fields off by 10s of bushels across the scales). IMHO i think the small changes they are making will make it better and they are not charging what i consider to be an exorbitant sum. Last i knew it was less than 3K. In fact i wonder if someone with slightly above average mechanical skills could modify there own. But i don't have those skills and i haven't looked at mine to see if it will work.

As far as resolution goes i'm not sure on that one, arbitrarily i think 50' x 50' sounds good as its hard to get any kind of application to change quickly and accurately (planting, seeding, spraying). If we are working to refine management zones and squeeze every last bit of production out then better spatial accuracy certainly wouldn't hurt. I also realize that with tailings flow, gps accuracy and any number of other things its never going to be perfect, however i'll take better any day. With the addition of high resolution mapping to an iPad (that i can and do frequently take everywhere) i think you have a very nice combination.

I use to wear a red and black shirt, i know most guys aren't interested or worried about data that is that accurate. But I and increasingly more guys are, any time someone raises the bar a little higher it makes us all a little better. Just my 02.

In the interest of full disclosure I also happen to be a PP rep, after my life as an AFS tech it wasn't a hard transition and a good way to make some side money for the farm. As things change that likely wont't be the case, (probably sooner rather than later) so I don't have much of a dog in this hunt. Monsanto has popped 2 June surprises on me the last two years and i'm getting tired of it.

Edited by bigswede 7/15/2013 21:40

(Scan0001.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Scan0001.jpg (42KB - 474 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)