AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

variable HYBRID planting test rig??????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

rHiNoBaLlS
Posted 7/14/2013 16:21 (#3208110 - in reply to #3207711)
Subject: Re: variable HYBRID planting test rig??????

WC MN
Maybe I am missing something here but wouldn't it be as simple as having two CCS hoppers "blowing" seed to each meter on the row unit. As long as the switch over doesn't take too long, there is always residual seed in the meter no? That way you can mitigate the risk of having a large "Skip" in the field. Granted the switch over wouldn't be immediate but you could utilize some form of "look ahead" technology. IE the controller knows that in 150 feet it needs to switch the variety over so it starts distributing seed to the meter early.

The only thing I dislike about all this is a couple of times I have had a little seed left over in my box planter and just dumped bags on top. I have seen a couple different days emergence between certain hybrids. I would think you would get some mixing going on at the meter. It would be somewhat difficult to try and get the hybrids that you want to emerge as well as a single hybrid. I Know I see it with RIB corn for sure. Almost always you can find the early or late comers and it's the refuge. So we do all this work to get a perfect spacing, seed depth, etc. and by default 5% does it's own thing anyways.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)