AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Map projections?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

HowieMcG
Posted 7/10/2013 11:01 (#3200920 - in reply to #3196699)
Subject: Re: Map projections?

Maquoketa, Iowa 52060
There are people who earn their degrees on this kind of stuff. My background was working for a software company that produced software for surveyors. A simple rule that my boss (who I now work for again here at BNB) told me was "Lat longs are not lat longs", there are many definitions of where the center of the earth is and its radius/flatting. for example NAD83 and ITRF05 are different by about 3 feet in most areas of the USA. DGPS which some of use is NAD83, but its an old NAD 83 which is a couple inches off from our current NAD83.

It gets way more complicated and we or at least the manufacturers will need to get these things figured out as our guidance and mapping systems become more and more accurate the small differences in datums, projections, realizations, tectonics, geoids, north definitions, solid earth tides, ocean loading, etc. will all become more apparent. A great example from above is that some manufacturers don't have parallel lines but others manufacturers have figured out easy ways to correct this.

Edited by HowieMcG 7/10/2013 11:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)